Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 109 - Cries and Whispers

Cries and Whispers (1972) directed by Ingmar Bergman


After watching a couple lightweights lately, I decided to dig into something a little heavy...


About five or six years ago I watched Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal and I was not that impressed. It was too slow, too intellectual, too philosophical, too artsy, etc for me. I chalked it up to my young age and lack of exposure to these kinds of movies. Perhaps I would acquire a taste for such films as I got wiser with age and had more movie watching under my belt. I don't know if I'm any smarter now but I have definitely watched more films and I'm sad to report I'm none the wiser about them. I simply haven't gotten into these types of movies, including today's film Cries and Whispers.

What makes this film a heralded classic? I'm not asking to be confrontational or to say that I hated this movie (I didn't) but I'm genuinely curious and want to understand. I want to become a better thinker and a better movie watcher, but I lack the training and learning to fully appreciate a film like this. I understood the basics and I even got some of the symbolism but I was still more "Eh" than "Ooooh" about it. I wasn't emotionally devastated or deeply moved like the movie description said I would be and afterword I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel. After reading an excellent analytical essay and a half dozen reviews I can see what the big deal is, but even then I still don't really see Cries and Whispers in that light, though I certainly appreciate it more.

Okay before I get more into why I'm so confused I better talk a little more about the actual movie. A woman named Agnes is dying of cancer and is being looked after by her two sisters, Karin and Maria, and her faithful servant Anna. They are living together in this giant mansion with bright red interiors. The color red plays a significant role in the film as it represents the soul, blood, pain, death, and the raw emotion of the characters. In fact, many of the scenes fade in and out in red rather than the traditional black. All the characters are deeply wounded individuals who have confronted pain and death, particularly Karin and Maria who come across as vile people. Maria attempts to seduce the doctor who is caring for Agnes and in a flashback, it is revealed that they had an affair some time ago. This led to Maria's husband to attempt suicide, in which he begs for her help, to which she responds coldly, "No." Karin is perhaps even worse. In a disturbing flashback she cuts her own vagina with a piece of broken glass because that is how much she hates her husband. That is how much she hates to be touched. She triumphantly smears the blood across her face and gives an all knowing smile. Disturbing and totally weird. Karin is so cold that in a time of vulnerability and openness she tells Maria to her face that she has always hated her. The third sister, Agnes, seems to be innocent. Her pain is more literal and physical and she writhes and screams in agony. Anna's role is a confusing one. She too has suffered pain and loss. She lost her daughter at a young age and Agnes, whom she is quite affectionate with, is also dying. However, she lacks the cynism of the sisters perhaps because of her faith in God and humanity.

If I had to describe Cries and Whispers in a word, it would be pain. Everyone suffers and in the cases of the sisters, they afflict pain upon others. It is a rather bleak and depressing picture filled with dread and dispair. It is definitely not a fun experience. I suppose the primary concern for me about this film is that I wasn't really affected by watching it. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I could see the dread in the film but I didn't really feel it; I felt more anguish in having to sit through this more than anything. I certainly appreciate this movie on a more intellectual and artistic level after reading up on it but as far as an overall package goes, it didn't totally fly for me. You can explain in the greatest detail how technically great a painting is, how certain brush strokes are meant to evoke this emotion or that idea, but in the end you wouldn't be caught dead with it hanging on your wall, if that makes any sense.

Actually thinking more and more about this movie, the more I can understand why it might be great. Unfortunately for me, my entire appreciation for the film comes from reading about it after the fact rather than watching it. I know this says a lot about my capabilities as a film critic, but I think it has to at least say a little something about the film itself. After watching it, thinking a little about it, reading about it, and writing about it for over an hour, I'm still at a loss on how I should feel. Perhaps that is a good thing though.

Question: I'm still not sure what the title is in reference to. Regarding the scenes of the close ups of the women's faces where whispers can be heard, what do they mean?

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment