Monday, November 7, 2011

Day 201 - Super Troopers

Super Troopers (2001) directed by Jay Chandrasekhar




I got home really late after a long day and wasn't in the mood for anything heavy so I decided to pick a slapstick comedy that wouldn't require extra focus. Super Troopers actually turned out to be exactly what I needed, a stupid movie full of laughs. When I say stupid, I don't necessarily mean that in a derogatory way. Many of these comedies realize they're "bad" movies, but they aren't out to grab any awards. They're trying to make you laugh as much as possible, no matter how crude or tasteless the method. If a movie is funny, it is funny, period.

Now, as it turns out Super Troopers isn't that funny, but it gets the job done. It follows a group of misfit highway patrol men who are seen as a sort of laughing stock to the "real" city cops. They amuse themselves with juvenile pranks and silly games. In the first scene the troopers decide to mess with some potheads by repeatedly pulling them over and asking the same questions, then to teach them a lesson by making them smoke an entire bag of weed. These beginning scenes have a frantic energy and humor that shows a lot of promise, but the hijinks sort of taper out in the middle. The jokes come but don't hit quite as hard as you'd expect.

The plot is somewhat of a variation of the lovable loser underdog story where the misfits must rise to the occasion by solving an actual police case. Of course they are not taken seriously by their rivals, the city police. Surprisingly the story actually makes sense and even throws in some unexpected twists, which is a lot to ask for sometimes when dealing with dumbed down movies. The strength of the film lies in its cast of misfits, each trooper has his own personality. Think Animal House but with cops.

Overall the film is a decent time killer with some laughs, which can be exactly what you need in some situations. However, if you're looking for something with even a hint of sophistication or thought, you might want to look elsewhere.

Grade: C+

3 comments:

  1. Wow.

    You are such a dick.

    "...if you're looking for something with even a hint of sophistication or thought, you might want to look elsewhere..."

    Someone was feeling might royal on the day he wrote this one! Did you bend down to smell your own anal exhales too? (Have you seen that South park with Hybrids?!? Pretty good stuff)

    For the record, I do think you could say that comment about January Jones and be spot on. She is super hot. But I seriously think I can see completely through her head. She probably insists on missionary position so that she doesn't float off into space... which I'm okay with I guess.

    Ha ha ha.

    Sorry. I had to laugh at my own joke.

    Hmmmm. Moving on...

    Speaking of laughing, this review sucks! I don't know what irks me more - the fact that you just saw this classic slapstick comedy for the first time this year, or the fact that you blasted the shit out of it! Super Troopers is great. Die slow.

    I GOT YOU GOOD FUCKER!!!

    Ha ha. JK. You know I love you.

    To be honest, I can agree with most of what you say. Though there is some great shit in this movie, and it is a lot of fun to watch.

    Wow this comment is weird. I'm going to stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. January Jones's character in Mad Men might be one of the most infuriating characters ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha good point. I actually think its the only role I've seen that works for her though. Granted, I've only seen season 1 so far (and really liked it!). No wonder Draper always cheats on her!!

    ReplyDelete