Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 275 - Contraband

Contraband (2012) directed by Baltasar Kormakur




Here marks the first 2012 release I've seen and the new year is off to a so-so start. Of course I wasn't expecting Contraband to be anything special but I was kind of hoping for something with a little more kick to it. It is a run of the mill action caper film, except that it is a little light on the action and the capering. Mark Wahlberg does his standard tough cool guy routine where quite honestly sometimes it feels like he's just playing himself. But if you were as cool as Marky Mark, why would you ever need to change yourself?

The problem with this film is that it all feels kind of generic and bland. The pacing is a little slow, the action isn't hard hitting or inventive (See Mission Impossible if you haven't already!) and the story isn't quite all there. I am pretty easy to please though so I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't enjoy it on some level. It is a passable action film if you are in the mood for one, but not much more.

Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment