Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 22 - The Princess Bride

The Princess Bride (1987) directed by Rob Reiner

For my tens of loyal fans out there, you may have noticed I did not have an entry for Thursday, May 12, but it wasn't my fault! Blogger.com was down for like 30 hours and I was unable to post my entry, but I had it all ready to go and everything! I swear! Luckily I've found out that I can fiddle with the timestamp of my post and just set it for May 12th and you'll be none the wiser! Bwahaha!

As the grandfather opens his book to read to his grandson, the uncertain youth asks, "A book?" to which the grandfather replies, "That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book… And today I'm going to read it to you." At first the kid is reluctant to hear the story, afraid it might be one of those "kissing books" much in the same way the typical guy might roll his eyes at the idea of having to watch another chick flick on a date.

The kid is sure to cover his bases and asks his grandpa, "Has it got any sports in it?"
Incredulous, the grandfather replies, "Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles..."

And so begins the famed fantasy-action-adventure-romantic-comedy bed time story, The Princess Bride. This movie basically has it all, romance for the ladies, heroes and villains and adventure for the kids, and surprisingly witty and snappy comedy for the guys, the ultimate family film. It's a formula that studios like Pixar have adopted so well in making movies with universal appeal. The Princess Bride is light hearted fun, but its most appealing aspect, at least to me, is how funny it is. Characters deliver absurd lines with deadpan precision, but doesn't degenerate itself into a slapstick farce like Mel Brooks or Monty Python pictures, retaining its sense of charm. It pokes fun at the fairy tales of our youth and imagianation, yet embraces them at the same time, entrenching itself into the genre and our hearts.

Simple, short and sweet, just like my writing!

Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment