Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 292 - Trollhunter

Trollhunter (2011) directed by Andre Orvedal




Three college students with a camera investigate a man who is believed to be illegally poaching bears in Norway's wilderness, but it soon becomes clear he does not deal with merely bears. The claw marks on his truck are far too big, the footprints he tracks far too strange. He is a troll hunter working for the Troll Security Service (TSS), a government organization that hides these trolls from the public and kills any that leaves designated territories. Hans, the troll hunter, invites the kids to tag along with him into the secret world of trolls. Trollhunter is a curious "found footage" mockumentary in the same spirit of The Blair Witch Project, which means plenty of shaky cameras, grainy night time footage and an abrupt ending. For what it's worth, I didn't like The Blair Witch Project but I mildly enjoyed Trollhunter.

It's kind of hard to give any real input to the film because it's sort of just out there. I expected it to be more funny or more intelligent or more, well, something, but it just wasn't. It's basically just a ho-hum monster film masquerading as something more unique because of its POV style. I suppose I should go ahead and describe the trolls which come in varying shapes but (gigantic) sizes. The first troll we see has three heads, the last troll we see is over fifty feet tall. Exactly how do creatures this size remain hidden from the public? All the trolls smell really bad and have huge noses to sniff out.... Christians? I found that a really odd thing to just throw in there and was wondering if there was any significance to it other than being kind of funny. I mean I suppose if you were really reaching you could view Trollhunter as a sort of anti-Semitic satire. For instance, is it a coincidence that these trolls have huge noses, a common stereotype for Jews, and that they seek out Christian blood? Having just thought this, I Googled "Troll hunter anti-semitism" to see if I wasn't the only one who thought this and it appears that I am not the only one.

There is some dry humor that is sort of hit or miss and there aren't really any real scares. There isn't anything really innovative about the film either. I will say though I was sort of taken aback by the appearance of the trolls. They are interesting, and apparently racist, creatures. At least, watching the film didn't give me a dizzying headache like The Blair Witch Project.

Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment