Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 298 - The Crazies

The Crazies (2010) directed by Breck Eisner




I think I've already mentioned this numerous times: I'm a gigantic vag when it comes to scary movies. I just don't like the whole things popping out at you genre. A couple scenes here and there, sure, but 90 minutes worth of crapping in your pants? No thank you. I thought I was done with horror movies after Halloween, but for whatever reason when this movie started playing I just kept on watching. It probably had something to do with the fact that I was laying down on my couch and the controller was just out of arm's reach, or maybe that The Crazies is actually pretty good.

One of the plus sides of zombie movies, and yes this is a zombie movie even though they aren't technically zombies, is that you know exactly what you're getting into. You got your relentless man eating baddies on one side and the small group of survivors on the other. How you get to this point can vary from story to story, but rest assured you will get there. This is probably one of the easiest formulas to follow, which is why there are so many of these kind of movies out there, but it is also probably one of the most difficult genres to distinguish yourself in because let's face it, all these movies are the same. So what makes The Crazies stand out from the rest of the pack? Not terribly much, but it is well made with some scenes that are sure to make you jolt, which is why you're here in the first place. The sense of dread and doom is sustained throughout the entire film making it a true horror film in both atmosphere and the number of scares which a lot of other horror films fail to pull off. It also spends a fair amount of time on the principle characters to make us sort of care for them, I guess.

You might notice that I have not yet mentioned the plot. It's not because I am afraid of ruining it for you, but because you already know what this film is about. If you've seen one zombie movie you've seen them all. This actually might be the reason why I was able to sit through this movie because once you already know what to expect, you can brace yourself for all the scary moments because you know they are coming. Just know that it gets the job done in rather unspectacular yet satisfying fashion. It's unlikely I'll remember anything about this movie a month from now, but for those 90 minutes I was into it.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment